Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Design Benchmarks

A few weeks ago, Shriram Krishnamurthi asked an interesting question on Twitter:

It's common in PL to have benchmarks for performance. But does anyone know of PL design benchmarks?

This caught my attention because my longest-running research program -- my work on functional reactive programming, with 7 papers so far -- has been explicitly guided by a handful of design benchmarks.

I've never written them down explcitly, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to do so.

  1. The language must validate the full beta- and eta-laws for all of the type constructors in the language.

    This is a proxy benchmark, of course. My actual goal is to make languages which are easy to program with and reason about.

    However, this is an open-ended and vague goal, and so I needed to find a specific, concrete operationalisation of it. There are many possible proxies for this goal, and the one I picked was to look for programming languages which validate a rich collection of semantically-justified equations. This specific choice was made for three reasons.

    • First, this goal it pushes me away from spending time on quality-of-life features like rich standard libraries. These features obviously do make a language easier to use, but they do not directly touch upon any FRP-specific problems.

    • Second, the search for well-behaved equational properties pushes me towards taking features known to be useful, and trying to decompose them into smaller type-theoretic components.

      As Jeff Raskin once noted, in user interfaces "intuitive" and "familiar" are basically synonyms, which means it is good to have a design benchmark which does not penalise doing things that are different from the old standard.

    • Third, dĂ©formation professionnelle. This particular goal is the one that the toolbox I've acquired over the years -- expertise in semantics and type theory -- is best-adapted to move me towards.

      If my expertise lay in running user studies, writing model checkers, or programming with continuations, then I would probably approach the problem differently! For example, the work on the Garnet toolkit is both extremely good and very influential, and very different in character from anything I have pursued.

      Obviously, I could learn how to write a constraint solver or run a user study, but the art is long, and life short. I think it's OK for people to focus on different things, and to learn from each other. :)

  2. I have a small collection of tiny programs which are intended to model various common UI patterns, and the languages I design must express these programs.

    The purpose of these programs is basically to prevent over-simplifying away real complexity. If we're trying to optimise a language design for ease of reasoning, the easiest way of "achieving" the goal is to design an impoverished language.

    For example, I check whether I can write programs which dynamically create new widgets, to ensure that I can't design something which restricts programmers to a fixed dataflow graph. Likewise, a program with two widgets sending notifications "sideways" to each other keeps me from trying to rely on hierarchical encapsulation. (This is super tempting, but as far as I can tell, no actual program consistently does this.)

  3. The language must admit a simple implementation strategy.

    This design principle arose as a reaction to a negative lesson.

    My first paper on higher-order FRP, Ultrametric Semantics of Reactive Programs, used a system of dynamic, incremental dependency propagation (a baby version of the stuff Matt Hammer and Umut Acar used to do), and it ended up requiring a really weird implementation strategy for closures. In addition to being able to call them, I also needed to be able to move forward them in time, and this required a really weird set of hacks to go into a closure and move everything in its captured environment forward in time as well.

    This was painful to implement, difficult to prove correct, and it leaked memory like a sieve. Trying to deal with these issues led directly to my ICFP 2013 paper on FRP, which is basically a type system for immediate mode GUI programming.

    Note that I don't mind if the implementation strategy is challenging to prove correct (eg, my POPL 2021 paper with Simon Spies and Derek Dreyer is about inventing some needed machinery for modelling retained-mode GUI implementations), but the actual running code has to be simple.

    This means I haven't looked at any dataflow or constraint stuff in years, but sometimes a design rule is there to prevent you from doing certain things.

No comments:

Post a Comment